Sunday, March 30, 2008

Freezing Point

Almost a month has passed since I landed in the US.

When I had left for India for good about 4 years back, my mind was filled with weird emotions. I was a failure; a certified one... I had turned my back on the land where "Dreams come true" and returning home; with a battered soul and fatigued spirit... armed with nothing but a degree earned with extreme hard-work and honesty. And honest I was gonna be to it as well. I wasnt ready to sell my soul to the body-shopper who makes me a fake resume and gets me a license to hand around in the "land of the free"...

Circa back to 2nd March,08 and life had almost come a full circle. India had been kind to me.. Luck better and life awesome. I was returning after 4 yrs ; almost... I was handling a role better thn my experience commanded and working for a firm earnin more revenue than most others in the world... I had proven my worth; albeit to myself.. and I had a smile much more genuine than the one I had when I left JFK. I was as happy as the definition demanded.. Two months of great experience and I would b flying back to marry my sweetheart..

I didnt knew as I got into my flight what I would feel or how I wud take to being back. Life was moving so fast that I didnt have time to ponder over it...But the flight was long and 16 hours was enough time to go back and let the bitterness come back.. I chose not to..

I had enough of it.. I was coming back a changed man. Bad memories had no place.. I was gonna ensure that they dont.. I was gonna live life King size this time round. I was gonna have the fun I couldnt and see some place tht I should have earlier..

However, once aboard the flight my mind just erased all memories... Two pegs of whiskey and some good food and hefty slumber later; not to forget some 4 movies too... I had landed... @ JFK... the very same place... from where I had left, red-faced, teary eyed, zero confidence..some four years back...

Before even realising the gravity of it all, there I was.. In the same immigration line to get my I94 stamped... I answered all the mandatory questions; picked my bags and glanced at my watch... Five hours for my next flight...

Having nothing better to do.. I stepped out at the airport... Thats when it hit me.. It was still the same freezing, biting, cold country ...I had bade goodbye to.. In a different time-zone, in a different situation and with a different mindset... Today was mine, again..once again.
The freezing temperature wasnt gonna bother me.. not after all I knew i had overcome

8 comments:

Rhombus Tomsen said...

awesome writing...I think if you are in India, you are in a better place, a place way more full of promise than the "land of the free". Free, hmm..isn't THAT a joke!
I believe, after a lot of soul searching myself, dreams can come true anywhere on the face of this earth and no one place has a monolpoly on realising dreams.
Welcome to the US!

Shining Horizons said...

Very nice...touches the chord.

Keep writing more.

Sharvari said...

Very nice post! Enjoy your time to the fullest :)

Adiya said...

Tender romantic feeling bhai saab. keep rocking all the best. mail me ur number lets talk

Mugdha said...

awesome baby..written jus too good..im spellbound...

Ashima said...

i am extremely proud of the person that you are and for the things that you have achieved and it has all come to you for the hard work and sincerity that you have put in and believe no amount of coldness can resist the warmth that you exude and If i was to say i would say " What A comeback" and an answer to all those who are bloody rigid to identify potential even if it hits them between the eyes ....take care and have a great time

Jui Chitre Deshmukh said...

u write well..:)this is the 1st time i read something from u.. i will keep coming back to read more

Unknown said...

awesome maaan, bro never knew your were so good at this shit, Holy Shit you are too good maaan, lets catch up sometime when you come to aaapli Mumbai, probably have a couple of whiskies ,few movies and lots of banter.