Friday, March 10, 2006

Sometimes I Ponder

Its Friday. Everyone in my cubicle has left for home. What am I doing here? Why am I whiling away time doing nothing when I can go home early and catch up on that book unfinished or cook myself some dal-chawal and papad. And then I crib all weekend long about how lousy life's turning out to be.


But NO. Today is not everyday. My team-mate has quit and she is there burning the final few Cd's before she leaves the premises, probably forever. I am not her best friend; possibly not even a friend in the real meaning of that term. Why do I feel lil akward then???

As i sit in my cubicle blogging away to glory; running away from the reality.... It just keeps creeping up on me.... I have seen so many people supposedly "Moving Ahead" in life leaving the project and office for the promise of a better tommorow. The rate of attrition matches the speed of light. Bonds are broken even before they even get formed. Dialogs said by my dad like " I worked for the same firm for 30 yrs", " I got this silver plaque for my silver jubilee"etc. resemble archealogical evidences and yet the heart ponders...

IS this really the progress, growth we r running after? Is individual betterment the sole objective in a decision? Dont we have any necessities towards bettering our social life at the workplace? Is money the sole driver for all decisions we make?

If yes ...... Then why am i sitting here hoping to get that one smile from her and why is there a drop of tear in her eye whilst she flashes her coy smile at me... possibly for the last time......

No comments: