Tuesday, March 28, 2006

In a strange land...

I always get this sinking feeling that i am drowning and there would be no one to help me ashore. And, how would they? Most people dont know my language... Am I saying this because I am caught up in a land where the local language is different but then is it so important??

Having being brought up in Bombay language was never an issue. It was always a bhel-puri of so many of them..I had used all types of words from Hindi, English, Marathi and spattered a few Gujju words too... all in the same sentence.

Out here too, I have got the basics of Kannada and that should help me sail through in a normal scenario... but I am finding it difficult to break through or break the ice as they say...

What can be the reason, then? Why is language suddenly such a huge hindrance?

To add to this fact that most of the friends that I have made out here are quite well-spoken in English and they take care to talk to me in the same. Then why is it that it doesnt feel as nice as it did in Bombay or even in Florida...

May be this is where the mother tongue aspect of language kicks in... I really don't know.. I am still tryin to figure it out and fit in....

I hope it is sooner than later cos otherwise my days in this city may be numbered.....

No comments: