Thursday, August 31, 2006

Missin GANU

Nah... Not like crying and singing " Ne majhsi ne" and all... nor is my divine altercation with my favorite diety shattered. I dont know if I am agnostic or atheist or a hardcore Hindu at heart. I do believe in some sort of a higher power and that is where it ends...

Whats so attractive about Ganapati then; you ask me???
Well, for starters ... how many people can carry off such a rotound tum with so much aplomb and look so cool... Who else can claim to have made a mouse look cute and eating heap loads of fat (read ghee) filled ladoos into a fashion statement. So lets give credit where it is due. Either we accept Ganesh and/or his creator (if such a being could be traced out) as super cool, uber smooth, utterly dear a fashion icon, a la, Teddy or accept that you dont like really utterly cuddly wuddly woosh woosh ad wala kiddos...

For me, He is more of a sub-conscious mein present buddy. Whenever I feel low I talk to myself and sometimes I vent out my anger at frustrations and anger on Him... saying how comes he manages to screw me up all da time... Luckily, if he is the power tht people claim him to be, then he surely is sensible and patient with it cos I havent been taken to the cleaners even once. And if he isnt really there then I would like to tip my hat off to the brilliant artist who ceonceptualized the entire story board for Ganapati.

But leaving that aside, Ganesh Chaturthi has always been a special moment of my childhood years cos tht was one time; two days of pure unadulterated fun. All cousins; all part of my humungo family gathered at Kaka's house and ran riot. Pulling each others legs and singing dancing the norm de rigeur. One other uncle had the video player and we literally ate, drank and slept SHOLAY and JAWS subah and shaam... Sumtimes my Bal buddhi wondered if we came here to celebrate the video player or the festival... Growin up those 2 days were the most awaited and cherished days of my years. Stories emerged and carried over to many Ganapatis later on finally achieving legendary status...

Since 2000, my participation has been highly reduced in this family get together. The only significant chance of catching up with friends and family goes to waste every year. I keep missin this chance and keep reflecting on those magic moments. I am not too fond of the exorbitant and vulgar display of affection showered on Ganapati in street pandals and mandirs and the likes but somehow I miss those good ol' days when me and him were jus plain buddies, yet basking in the virginal pristinity of selflessness and enjoying the Modaks together...

I miss you, my cuddly buddy...

1 comment:

Jui Chitre Deshmukh said...

u r a good writer...i mean its really not easy to write about things which appear very ordinary yet u make them special with ur interpretation of them.. for example its easy to write abt a bomb blast or a heart break, these generate vry strong emotions .. but when the subject in itself isnt that grave its all in ur interpretation