Friday, September 29, 2006

Orkutting. Am I Safe???

PS:
I havent gotten time to scan thru the books and Gandhigiri-Part2 would take some time to come.. sorry about that.


I am very sure most of you have been zapped over by Orkut at some level... most probably, you have landed on my blog thanks to it. So is it really what it promised to be... That divine intervention that made boundaries disappear and got you back with your old friends or is it a new threat to personal information and identitification theft.

The changes and subtle variations in orkut have been startling since the day I started using it (since a year almost). At first, they happened at an extremely slow rate and were hugely cosmetic in nature. However, today finally the true colors or atleast the most preliminary shade of it has come to light... Finally we see on the side lines stuff that gets GOOGLE (orkut ka parent org.) its bread and butter. Sponsored ads.....

Is Orkut as safe as before,,, anymore???? Was it really a very safe medium ever??? I mean there have always been threats like Cloning of Ids, spamming of scrap books, Invitation to weird communities etc... and now this...

This is like that preliminary question " Is science a boon or bane" taken to an even microscopic level.. Is Orkut a necessary evil or the likes...

It has definitely done for me what none of the communication mediums ever did.. Gotten me in touch with long lost buddies, my alma mater and my college memories have been refreshed. It also opened up my mind to a whole new gamut of friends who share my likes and dislikes and all this for free... Total cost; except for the net connection (which is free at work neways); zilch.. But this is about me...Sumone that treats it as an amazing communication bridge. What kind of power does it accord to spamsters and hackers who have devilish ideas on their mind? How safe is my identity and how secure my relations with friends (if sumone is hell bent on screwin it up)??? Where are the folks who may plan these dastardly acts???

ARE THESE NEW ADS THE FINAL STRAW IN THE BREAKDOWN AND CHEAP DISTRIBUTION OF MY RESERVED AND SUPPOSED TO B PRESERVED PRIVATE INFO???

AM I REALLY REALLY SAFE...

6 comments:

Chaitu.. said...

True dude, seriously Orkut sure has become a big threat these days!!
Infact, these days anything and everything is "good" till it is less popular.... Quality and quantity are inversely proportional!!

Sharvari said...

Yepp! I agree...I dont think it was ever safe. If ppl start screwing with ur profile, u r sure gonna enjoy! :(
But still knowing these things u cant stop using it,dont u?

punit said...

yes i agree that orkut is no more safe. my mom is really worried abt the extent of orkut that i surf after reading the local newspapers. But there are pros and cons to every issue. I feel we shudnt loose out on orkut because of some psycopaths out der.

Adiya said...

well.. before getting into orkut ..
ya...
internet is not a secured medium at all and then getting into any connection medium is still under threat.

further sudden fame of orkut leads lot of spammers, p...n guys etc started they x activities. google and orkut seriously working on this side. one thing scarping can be done using dynamically generated and authenticated image verification. etc etc.

soon ur blog-post will get an answer.
-s

s said...

hehe..my take on this.
I wont stop from buying a ferrari cos someone on the road may scratch it, hit it, crash into it or steal it.
of course I ll get it insured.

I wont stop from having fun at orkut cos someone may stalk me... But i take my insurance by not messing with anyone, and not dolling out much info bout me

Chet said...

There is an interesting take on privacy - whom do you trust ?

If you go by the definition of perfect security you can't trust anyone. However for sanity reasons we tone this down and implicitly accept some entities as worth trusting.

Some information should never ever be written anywhere when its online. The other stuff let it be. Letting too many people know only ensures that no one is actually interested in it. Besides unless we are a public figure it should not bother one much. The world is too big and unconcerned to know that we have a bad-hair day :D